Alphonse de Lamartine - Lamartine museum in Mâcon

Lamartine museum

Located on the 1st floor of the Senecé Hotel, seat of the Academy of Mâcon
41, Sigorgne street - 71000 Mâcon / Phone 03 85 39 90 38 - Fax 03 85 38 20 60

Opened the every day (except Monday all the day and Sunday morning)
of 10h with 12h and 14h with 18h Closed on January 1,May 1, July 14,November 1, December 25
Opened only 14h with 18h other public holidays


The Lamartine Museum occupies the first stage of the Senecé hotel, acquired in 1896 by the Academy of Mâcon. The body of the monument, high about 1710 by Jacques Delaporte, lord of Marnay, was increased in 1748 by the addition of two wings; the hotel passed in 1759 to the family of Senecé which left him its name.

The Museum, created by the Academy of Mâcon in 1969, at the time of the centenary of died of the poet, was renovated in 1990 by the town of Mâcon, which assumes some since operation and management.

The collections lamartiniennes, pertaining to some extent to the Academy, Municipal with the Museum of the Ursulines, are presented in eleven rooms; they are essentiellements consisted of paintings, sculptures, personal objects as well as graphic documents, engravings and drawings, which give a rich person seen of the glance of his time on the work of the poet and the acts of the politician.

J. - F. Garmier (former conservative of the museums of Mâcon)